Who are you?
- A teacher/leader with responsibility for leading maths across a primary key-stage or school, or if you want to have this responsibility.
- A teacher familiar with mastery approaches to teaching primary maths, who wants to improve leadership skills in this area.
- A Subject leader in a school already engaged in the primary Teaching for Mastery programme or similar programme.
What will you learn?
- Developing Primary Mathematics - you will learn how to shape a culture of maths across your Primary setting and develop a deep understanding of how pupils learn mathematics becoming skilled in leading staff to develop pupils interconnected understanding of concepts, their procedural fluency and automaticity in key number facts.
- Teaching - you will learn how to support teachers at all levels in your school, key stage or phase to develop their knowledge and classroom skills in teaching primary mathematics.
- School culture - you will strengthen your ability and that of your colleagues to contribute to a school culture in which pupils can thrive and succeed and have a positive attitude towards mathematics.
- How pupils learn - you will deepen your knowledge of the best ways to develop, adapt, embed and practice good models of learning across the whole school community, key stage or phase.
- Subject and curriculum - you will learn how to support and improve high quality lesson design, teaching, learning and assessment in primary mathematics.
- Professional Development - you will deepen your knowledge of the best ways to provide effective professional development in mathematics curriculum, pedagogy and assessment across the whole school community.
- Implementation - you will learn how to implement change successfully within your context by understanding the stages of implementation and applying them with the support of your facilitators and colleagues.
What are the benefits for your setting?
We know that our children and young people need teachers who are committed to their education and are confident learners themselves. Our NPQ programmes have been developed with teachers and leaders to:
- Create professionally confident teachers and leaders.
- Grow the next generation of leaders with the skills and knowledge to use the evidence-base for the benefit of their children and young people.
- Retain the best teachers who are excellent, collaborative role models for their schools and communities.
- Inspire leaders who can harness the power of rich learning environments for their children and young people no matter the current circumstances.
Is this programme for me?
Yes, if you have a secure understanding of mastery approaches to teaching maths from the Teaching for Mastery programme, or an equivalent programme.
You will be able to:
- Develop the skills, confidence and knowledge to implement a detailed and coherent mathematics curriculum successfully through a supported implementation project.
- Develop the skills to implement meaningful interventions as part of a whole school, phase or key stage mathematics approach.
- Learn how to help pupils develop ways to improve their automaticity, fluency and problem solving skills developing confidence that transpires into academic progress.
- Learn practical approaches to develop pupils’ logical thinking and reasoning skills in your school context.
- Recognise the key elements of pupils’ mathematical learning trajectories from Reception to Key Stage 2.
- Access research and materials and have many opportunities to discuss mathematical approaches and the mastery model with other teachers.
Venue: Balcarras School, Cheltenham.
12 month programme comprising:
- Induction Conference - (full day - face to face)
- Facilitated face to face Peer Learning - (4 x 4.5 hour sessions)
- Online Learning
- Setting based implementation project
Engagement: There must be a minimum of 90% engagement in the programme for participants to be eligible for final assessment
Assessment: Each NPQ is assessed using a case study approach completed within a specified eight day window at the end of the programme.